Financial Controller for a leading business in North Yorkshire
A new FD was appointed in May 2020 and a new CEO is joining the business in August.
The leadership team are currently developing a clear strategic plan for growth over the next two to three years. The business has significant ambition for growth beyond the current high EBITDA figure with an anticipated event in the pipeline.
The business now seeks to recruit a high calibre qualified accountant who will significantly contribute to the next part of the journey.
Reporting to the Finance Director, the role of Financial Controller is to ensure that all aspects of the financial management processes are operating robustly, providing timely, accurate and up to date financial reports to enable effective business decisions. Whilst managing and developing the existing finance team and supporting commercial and operational activities.
Key Responsibilities include: -
- Management and development of the finance team; currently comprising 6 staff.
- Ensuring accurate and timely monthly management accounts and board pack including P&L, Balance Sheet, cashflow, KPI’s and detailed supporting commentary and analysis of performance.
- Review and maintain a strong financial and operational control environment, implementing robust financial controls and procedures as required to create more effective reporting and increasing the influence of Finance across the business.
- Prepare budgets and rolling forecasts which identify and highlight key factors affecting financial performance and future key factors for growth.
- Seek to develop and stretch the current finance team’s capability
- Development of existing practices and introducing new and improved ways of working.
- Ownership of annual statutory reporting, compliance with industry regulatory bodies and HMRC regarding VAT, PAYE, Corporation Tax and Income Tax.
- Establish yourself as the ‘right hand’ to the Finance Director offering sound financial advice and robustly challenging where necessary.
- Supporting commercial operating functions through improved financial analysis.
- Maintaining excellent relationships with all external stakeholders: banks, solicitors, auditors and investors.
- Assisting with the selection, design and implementation of a new ERP platform across finance and the wider business.
This will be a hands-on role, requiring a high degree of commercial acumen and operational experience. You will need to be conscientious and technically competent to enable your role to have a strategic influence.
Candidate profile: - .
- Qualified ACA, CIMA or ACCA.
- Conscious, collaborative, open and honest character who leads by example
- PE experience desirable
- Strong technical knowledge
- Strong demonstrable financial controls and cash management experience.
- An excellent manager of people with proven experience in developing individuals.
Equally important will be your generic ability and attitude. You must show a real passion for the business and the role, possessing an attitude suited to working within an ambitious SME, alongside a proactive, hands on approach and commercial eye for detail.